Archive for the Category ‘Community’

Reenacting the Civil War

Reenacting the Civil War

By DEE MOORE For the Keizertimes Cannon fire mingled with smoke and the cries of wounded and dying men over the Fourth of July weekend while spectators gasped and cheered the spectacle at Willamette Mission State Park north of Keizer. The park was the scene of the annual Civil War reenactment held by the Northwest […]

KFD chief marks 30 years as paramedic

KFD chief marks 30 years as paramedic

By ERIC A. HOWALD Of the Keizertimes Jeff Cowan knew certain things after he completed his paramedic training 30 years ago. “I was a 21-year-old paramedic, I didn’t even shave every day. I was very clinical. I knew my drugs, my doses, and I knew them forwards, backwards and chapter and verse,” said Cowan, chief […]

Civil War living history returns to Willamette Mission July 4

Civil War living history returns to Willamette Mission July 4

By ERIC A. HOWALD Of the Keizertimes Abe Lincoln will be making a return appearance at this year’s annual Civil War reenactment slated for July 4-6 at Willamette Mission Park north of Keizer. Stephen Holgate, who has been hailed as “the best Lincoln in America,” will perform a presidential press conference at the event Saturday, […]

Agenda for Keizer City Council Meeting

Agenda for Keizer City Council Meeting

Monday, July 7 at 7 p.m.

Needed: a new van

Needed: a new van

By ERIC A. HOWALD Of the Keizertimes Charlie Cheney needs a new van. One look at how he fits into the current one, a mid-1990s Ford Econoline, is probably all it would take for anyone to agree. Charlie needs to tilt his chair back to about a 60-degree angle to clear his head under the […]

No more Honey at MHS

No more Honey at MHS

By ERIC A. HOWALD Of the Keizertimes With 30 years experience as a teacher and administrator, there’s not a whole lot that keeps John Honey up at night when it comes to the day-to-day operations of a high school. That’s changed in recent weeks knowing he’s to become the planning principal for Salem-Keizer’s new Career […]

Fun ride will help eradicate polio

Fun ride will help eradicate polio

By ERIC A. HOWALD Of the Keizertimes Keizer Rotary is sponsoring a family bike ride Sunday, June 29, that will double as a fundraiser to end polio. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is matching all money raised 2:1 as part of its efforts to fund polio research and get vaccination programs into countries without […]

UGM Walk For Hope Saturday

UGM Walk For Hope Saturday

The Union Gospel Mission of Salem is holding Walk For Hope 2014 this Saturday, June 21. The event starts at the downtown Salem UGM shelter at 9:30 a.m. and travels about five miles to end at the UGM’s Simonka Place in Keizer around 10:30. There will be bounce houses, balloon art, face painting and lunch […]

Tech school gets SKSB’s green light

Tech school gets SKSB’s green light

By HERB SWETT For the Keizertimes The 2014-15 district budget and a partnership with Mountain West Career Technical Institute were approved at Tuesday’s Salem-Keizer School Board meeting. The budget was approved 6-0 with board chair Jim Green declaring a potential conflict of interest. The vote on the technical education partnership passed 5-1, with director Chuck […]

This camp will be a Blast

This camp will be a Blast

By CRAIG MURPHY Of the Keizertimes Lt. Andrew Copeland with the Keizer Police Department was figuring he would have to really promote Blast Camp. Copeland had plans for promoting the June 17 to 20 event aimed at boys and girls going into grades 3 to 8. “We anticipated probably 50 kids,” he said. “Now we’re […]

ADVERTISEMENT

Copyright (c) 2010 Keizertimes / Wheatland Publishing. Created by Born Invincible Design.