By CRAIG MURPHY
Of the Keizertimes
Count John Honey as among those upset with the most recent break-in at the McNary High School concession stand.
The MHS principal expressed anger last week over the latest break-in, which happened sometime between the evening of Sept. 19 and Sept. 22.
“Whoever is breaking in is being a dirtbag,” said Honey, in his fourth year of being principal at McNary. “I can appreciate boosters and Rotary members being frustrated. I’m frustrated too, that someone wants to vandalize their own school. We have Celtic pride. This person is going in the face of it. They’re taking away community pride, to the detriment of our students. It makes me very angry.”
Capt. Jeff Kuhns with the Keizer Police Department confirmed this week there is no suspect information or other updates for the latest of five concession stand break-ins within the past two years.
While that many break-ins caused enough frustration, additional hard feelings were caused by what was done – or not done – after the fourth one last spring.
Rhonda Brattain, president of the MHS Booster Club, said Salem-Keizer School District leaders would not accept offers made to donate security systems for the stand.
“They still said no to a security system since it doesn’t tie into the school’s security system,” Brattain said. “We had a security system ready to be donated, but the school district would not allow that. They said it has to be their system. They have their rules on how they handle things.”
Installing a security system was the clear choice of four options listed in a poll on the www.keizertimes.com website.
To read the complete article and other news from around the Keizer area, pick up a copy of the October 4 print edition of Keizertimes, available at stores all around the area. To subscribe to the print edition for just $25 a year, click on the ‘Subscribe Today’ link at the top of the page, call 503-390-1051 or visit our office at 142 Chemawa Road North in Keizer.Print