9-1-1 call determined to be a hoax

Facebook Twitter Email
File photo

File photo

 

By CRAIG MURPHY
Of the Keizertimes

A 9-1-1 call that led to two Keizer schools being put in lockdown mode Wednesday afternoon was determined to be a hoax.

Lt. Lance Inman with the Keizer Police Department said a call around 12:30 p.m. on Sept. 25 stated there was a man at Ben Miller Park, waving a gun at children.

“The caller then said the male subject was seen speeding towards Cherry Avenue in a green Mazda Protege with no plates,” Inman said. “Responding officers went to the area. No vehicle was found. There were two people at the park who were there when the call came in and they hadn’t seen anyone.”

Due to the proximity to Weddle Elementary and Claggett Creek Middle Schools, the schools were put into lockdown mode for about 30 minutes.

“We have a mutual protocol for procedures like these,” Inman said. “As near as I can tell, there was no disruption to the learning environment.”

Inman said the phone number that showed up wasn’t a valid number. Further, the home address the caller gave was bogus as well.

“By all accounts this was a hoax,” Inman said.

If a person had been found waving a gun, Inman said the subject likely would have been arrested for menacing and pointing a firearm. If the caller was found and the report was proven to be false, there would likely be a charge for disorderly conduct.

“We have idea for the motivation behind this,” Inman said.

Print Print

ADVERTISEMENT

Copyright (c) 2010 Keizertimes / Wheatland Publishing. Created by Born Invincible Design.