No injuries in Keizer house fire Monday

Facebook Twitter Email

 

Fire damaged the kitchen in a house on the 2000 block of Chemawa Road North in Keizer on Monday afternoon. No one was injured. (KEIZERTIMES/Craig Murphy)

Fire damaged the kitchen in a house on the 2000 block of Chemawa Road North in Keizer on Monday afternoon. No one was injured. (KEIZERTIMES/Craig Murphy)

By CRAIG MURPHY
Of the Keizertimes

A Keizer family was uninjured after a kitchen fire Monday afternoon.

The incident on the 2000 block of Chemawa Road North left Keizer fire chief Jeff Cowan preaching what to do.

According to Cowan, the mother had hot oil on the stove and was making tortillas. She was distracted by her children; when she looked back to the stove, oil had either spilled or boiled, igniting a fire.

As a result, the microwave with a vent above the stove caught fire and fell.

“They’re trying to get out,” Cowan said. “The husband is able to get out the fire by spraying the outside hose through the window.”

Cowan emphasized some safety tips.

“The first thing to do is smother the fire with a lid,” he said. “If you can’t get it out, get the family out and call 9-1-1 from a neighbor’s house. An extinguisher in the kitchen would have helped. It should be kept where it will be reachable.”

Cowan complimented the parents for their quick action.

“The did everything they could to do it right,” he said.

Print Print

ADVERTISEMENT

Copyright (c) 2010 Keizertimes / Wheatland Publishing. Created by Born Invincible Design.