By CRAIG MURPHY
Of the Keizertimes
The Peter Zielinski murder trial has been pushed back again, this time to September.
Peter John Zielinski has been charged with murder with firearm for the Jan. 12, 2011 killing of his wife, Lisa Zielinski.
Peter’s attorneys entered a not guilty plea based on extreme emotional disturbance in the fall of 2011.
In late 2011, a jury trial was scheduled for May 2012, but that was pushed back. Last June, a trial for this March was scheduled.
Jury selection was scheduled to take place Friday, March 15 with a week-long trial scheduled to start Monday, March 18.
Doug Hanson, the Marion County deputy district attorney handling the case, told the Keizertimes March 14 plans changed at the last minute.
“We just found out the trial is being continued,” Hanson said. “There will be no jury selection (Friday). This is not what anyone wanted to happen.”
Hanson said he couldn’t disclose the reason for the delay.
“This came out of the blue,” he said.
Hanson confirmed this week the trial has been pushed back to late summer.
Jury selection is now expected to take place Thursday, Sept. 5 with opening statements scheduled for the following day.
The trial is expected to continue through the following week.
“It was unexpected for both sides,” Hanson said of the latest delay. “It’s unfortunate it is out so far. It’s a scheduling thing. It’s especially unfortunate for the victim’s family, since it’s been more than two years. I think everyone wanted some closure.”
Jon Weiner, Peter Zielinski’s attorney, did not return messages for comment.